Thursday, June 4, 2009

Want a few tips on writing?

"I'd love to buy you lunch and pick your brain."


Can't tell you how often I hear that. It's normally the follow up to a few emails in which new writers ask me to take a look at their works and give them a few pointers.


Tips, they're usually called. You know what tips are. Those succinct little tidbits that will solve writers' career dilemmas: no one wants to publish their stuff.


Sorry. No royal road to it. You put in a few million words and then yeah, you'll be able to make use of a few pointers. You'll have reached the level of conscious incompetence.


What most folks mean by tips is this: teach me to write well. After all, it's just a bunch of words and we all started mastering that at around age 2 or so, right? How hard can it be?


If you'd like me to teach you to write, take one of the classes. Or hire me to do it. Because honestly, while I love lunch out with friends, there are a few problems with the whole lunch and brain picking scenario.


  1. It's worth more than lunch
  2. It takes longer than lunch.
  3. Ruins the meal to talk about bad writing and teach at the same time.
  4. Until you've put in the time in front of the keyboard, it won't help.


It's like law. Just because it's in English, don't assume you understand it.

No comments:

Post a Comment